Deferred Action Update

The Social Security Administration has announced that individuals who have been granted deferred action status and employment authorization may be eligible for a Social Security number, such individuals should also be able to obtain a driver’s license in certain states.

The first step to take in order to apply for a Social Security number is to submit a request for deferred action with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by submitting the appropriate forms, documents, and filing fees. Contact the immigration Simon Law Group, PLLC and let his legal expertise and caring staff be of service to you in submitting your request for deferred action with USCIS.

Once you have received your Employment Authorization Card (I-765) you should be able to apply for a Social Security number by completing an application in person at your local Social Security office.

You will have to take your Employment Authorization Card and proof of age and identity. An original document or certified copy of one of the following may be presented as proof of your age and identity:

• Foreign birth certificate;

• Foreign passport;

• U.S. military record;

• U.S. military identification card;

• Religious record showing age or date of birth;

• U.S. driver’s license;

• U.S. state-issued identification card;

• School record showing age or date of birth;

• School identification card; or

• Copy of medical record.

Updates that significantly impact the lives of those who qualify for deferred action are taking place almost every day. It is important to be represented by someone who cares for you, who will keep you informed of how you can benefit or be affected by the information as it unfolds, and who can assist you in obtaining the immigration benefits you deserve. Immigration attorney Sebastian J. Simon, an immigrant himself, is that person.