High Quality, Personalized Attention to Your Unique Case VAWA

Houston VAWA Attorneys

Compassionate Assistance in Obtaining Protection Under the VAWA

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was passed as a federal law in 1994. It allows abused immigrant spouses and children of U. S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to obtain green cards.

Under VAWA, an immigrant spouse may self-petition for lawful permanent status by filing Form I-360 with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This can be done by the spouse for her own benefit or on behalf of their abused child, without having to rely on the cooperation of the abusive citizen or green card holder spouse or parent.

We urge you to connect with Sebastian Simon Law Group if you have been a victim of battery or extreme cruelty from a:

  • Spouse
  • Former spouse
  • Parent
  • Or child who is a citizen or lawful permanent resident

Our competent and caring legal team is here to provide you skilled legal representation, helping you obtain the immigration and safety benefits you need.

Have you been abused by an immediate family member? Contact Sebastian Simon Law Group, PLLC at (713) 839-0639 or (332) 330-9442 to get the help you need to apply for a green card immediately.

Relief Available Under the VAWA

You can file Form I-360 which is a Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant without the knowledge or consent of your abusive family member. You will be referred to as a VAWA self-petitioner. If your self-petition meets the eligibility requirements and gets approved, it will generally allow you to apply for a green card. This is known as an “adjustment of status.”

If you are an abused spouse whose marriage to a citizen or green card holder ended within the past two years, you may still self-petition. You will, however, have to prove that your prior marriage was legal and that a connection existed between the termination of your marriage and the abuse or extreme cruelty.

How to Qualify for Immigration Assistance Under the VAWA

In general, self-petitioners and beneficiaries under VAWA will be exempt from any prohibitions to adjustment of statement. However, you must be admissible to the U.S. to qualify for a green card.

Immigration law has various grounds for inadmissibility, all of which apply in these cases except for the ground of entering the country without inspection and the ground of being a public charge.

In the case of a self-petitioning spouse, requirements to apply generally include:

  • Being of good moral character
  • Marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
  • Marriage was entered into in good faith
  • During the marriage, as an immigrant spouse, you (or your child) were battered or subject to extreme cruelty by the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse (or parent)
  • You currently or in the past resided with the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse

Even if you are not qualified under one or more grounds of inadmissibility, you may be able to apply for a specific waiver or other immigration remedy.

Our Attorneys Can Help You With Your VAWA Case

As former immigrants, our team understands the confusion, uncertainty, and anxiety of any complex immigration process. We can help you deal with the many laws, forms, and procedures involved in applying under the VAWA.

If you are facing abuse as an immigrant, you have options. Contact our firm today by calling (713) 839-0639 or (332) 330-9442 right away.

Why You Need an Attorney at Sebastian Simon Law Group, PLLC

Applying for protection under VAWA calls for many crucial documents, records, and additional forms depending on your situation. It also commonly involves sensitive personal information.

Because of the complex nature of this type of immigration filing, you will need the assistance and oversight of an experienced immigration lawyer to avoid any denials or delays.

Our Houston VAWA lawyers know how to ensure that your packaged application is thorough, accurate, and designed to give you the best chance of success.

Schedule a consultation with one of our immigration lawyers by contacting us at (713) 839-0639 or (332) 330-9442 today.

  • I can't say enough wonderful things about Simon Law Group!

    “This firm has a team of amazing, smart, and professional attorneys and staff. They really care about their clients and go above and beyond to obtain justice.”

    - Ivette Medez
  • We had a great experience.

    “Genuinely good hard-working individuals that get the job done! My husband’s immigration status was a complicated one, unlike the norm, but Attorney Sebastian was able to handle it and get us his residency in no time! Definitely recommend this law fir”

    - Adrianna R.
  • I would definitely recommend this law firm to anyone applying to get their green card.

    “I was entirely satisfied with the service and level of professionalism that the office of Sebastian Simon Law offered me. Everyone in the office is very knowledgeable and are always keeping things on check.”

    - Mariana Solis Lujambio
  • Simon Law Group was exactly what I was looking for!

    “They provided clear, concise and honest feedback regarding the subject at hand. No surprises! I also appreciate the informational videos on their Facebook page that covers current affairs. It’s clear they are genuinely passionate about their work.”

    - Suzy Porter

What Makes Our Firm Different

  • Listed as one of Houston's Top Immigration Lawyers by H-Texas Magazine in 2016 - 2018
  • Our Founding Attorney has First-Hand Immigration Experience
  • Selected for the Avvo Client's Choice Award in 2014 & 2015
  • Our Legal Services Are Available In English & Spanish
  • We Have Extensive & Dedicated Legal Experience
  • Trusted & Highly Recommended Worldwide

The Path to Your American Dream Starts Here

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.