Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
Guidance from Our Houston DACA Attorneys
On June 15, 2012, the Obama administration announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet the requirements set forth below may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. Those individuals will also be allowed to apply for a work permit during that period of time.
Guidelines for DACA
You may request consideration of deferred action if you:
- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
- Came to the U.S. prior to reaching your 16th birthday
- Have continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, up to the present time
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS
- Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012
- Are attending, have graduated, or completed high school, have earned a certificate for general education development (GED), or are a veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard or Armed forces who has been honorably discharged
- Have no criminal record that includes felonies, serious or multiple misdemeanors, and are otherwise not a threat to the safety of the public or security of the nation
How Do I Benefit from Deferred Action?
If you are granted deferred action, you will be able to legally work within the country. You can also apply for advance parole which allows you to travel outside of the country’s walls as long as the reasons relate to the person’s work or for humanitarian purposes.
If you would like to determine whether you could request deferred action in your case and possibly apply for work authorization, please contact our immigration lawyers. We are an immigration firm in Houston, Texas who is able to assist you with your deferred action application.
Speak with our knowledgeable DACA lawyers in Houston today about your options.
We had a great experience.- Adrianna R.
Simon Law Group was exactly what I was looking for!- Suzy Porter
I would definitely recommend this law firm to anyone applying to get their green card.- Mariana Solis Lujambio
I can't say enough wonderful things about Simon Law Group!- Ivette Medez